ASCO Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Speaker Series – Recordings Now Available
The Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry (ASCO) announces the online availability of the recordings of its recently-completed Eye on Diversity Speaker Series, a component of a larger diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging initiative generously sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Vision.
“We are happy to collaborate with ASCO to help make a difference for patients, providers and the eyecare industry,” says Dr. Charissa Lee, Johnson & Johnson Vision’s Head of North America Professional Affairs. “Diversity must always be at top of the mind for healthcare practitioners, and this speaker series, as well as the greater Eye on Diversity project, is a big step in the right direction.”
The goal of ASCO’s Eye on Diversity Speaker Series is to engage world-renowned content experts from outside optometry to share powerful insights, experiences, and knowledge around diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. By sharing these insights and experiences, ASCO and Johnson & Johnson Vision strive to stimulate deeper conversations and commitment to action around diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout optometric education and all of optometry.
The six featured speakers and the topics they discuss are:
- Wajahat Ali, “Go Back to Where You Came From” https://www.pathlms.com/asco/courses/46671
- Patricia Arredondo, “Thriving through Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging: A Continuous Journey” https://www.pathlms.com/asco/courses/46923/video_presentations/246002
- Vincent Pompei, “Creating an Inclusive Environment for LGBT+ Patients and Staff” https://www.pathlms.com/asco/courses/46924
- Cie Armstead, “Building an Inclusive Culture: As a Doctor of Optometry, What’s in It for Me?” https://www.pathlms.com/asco/courses/46925/video_presentations/243366
- Wema Hoover, “Reframing Diversity, Equity & Inclusion; How Difference Can Make a Difference” https://www.pathlms.com/asco/courses/46926/video_presentations/243375
- David Ikard, “The Dangers of Whitewashing History” https://www.pathlms.com/asco/courses/46928/video_presentations/243379
“We want to express our appreciation to Johnson & Johnson Vision for generously sponsoring this project, and our broader Eye on Diversity initiative. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are values we share with Johnson and Johnson Vision, and we hope this series helps educate people on these important issues,” says ASCO President, Dr. Melissa Trego. “These topics could be uncomfortable for some, but we hope this series will be used as a teaching tool for optometry faculty, residents, and practice owners/managers as we continue to address systemic racism, unconscious bias, and hate.”
For more information on the Eye on Diversity initiative, generously sponsored by Johnson & Johnson Vision, visit https://optometriceducation.org/speaker-series/.